It is important to know about your dos and don's in Laos if you are travelling to this country, either for a short visit or for a longer stay. Laotians are hospitable, friendly and enthusiastic people. Therefore, take note some tips below to have a enjoyable and relaxing trip without any troubles.
- The Lao word for Hello is "Sa Bai Dee", say with a smile and you will be welcomed.
- The formal greeting is called "Nop", is usually used with handshake between men.
- Take off shoes before enter Lao's house or temple.
- Dress neatly, keep silence and be polite while visit temples or any sacred places in Laos.
- If you want to join the Alms Giving ceremony in every morning, a traditional custom of Laotian, keep silence and show your respect for this ritual.
- Accept drink or water that Lao people serve even you don't want to drink.
- Try Lao traditional foods as much as possible.
- Use your feet to touch or point at something, someone.
- Shout or make noise in public.
- Throw trash in wrong places is considered improper.
- Bath nude in public is impolite and rude to Lao culture.
- Turn you back to the statue of Buddha.
- Make noise, honking on joining Lao street.
- Touch on Lao women's body or kiss her hand without permission is rude, discourteous.